Join Our Team of Guardians
Guardian Veterinary Medical Center is excited to be growing our team of smiling faces to open with our new facility in Port St. Lucie. We are currently accepting applications from experienced veterinary technicians, kennel assistants, and receptionists. If you are interested in learning more, you may read the job descriptions below, and then apply online.
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Kennel Assistant provides care and the basic needs of animals that are being boarded, groomed or hospitalized patients of Guardian Veterinary Medical Center.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide attention and care for boarding pets, daycare pets and pets visiting the Hospital.
- Walk hospitalized and boarded dogs several times a day to provide exercise and time for elimination of bowels and bladder.
- Bathe all boarding, grooming and hospitalized pets as needed.
- Observe animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent. Report signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to Veterinary medical team
- Apply knowledge of normal food and liquid requirements of animals. As required, provide special food and liquids.
- Ensure that cages and animals are properly numbered and identified and that personal property (toys, treats, blankets, leashes) are stored in the proper area identified.
- Clean, disinfect and maintain kennels & runs as often as is necessary to ensure no kennels are soiled and odors are not apparent. Perform general cleaning in other areas of the hospital to control the spread of illnesses. Wash and sterilize water and food bowls. Launder and dry towels and blankets.
- Patrol hospital grounds daily, picking up and trash and stool material. Empty trash.
Responsibilities include scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, setting up new clients and patients, preparation and maintenance of medical records, admitting and discharging patients, filling some prescriptions, over the counter sales, mailings, computer operation, financial transactions, filing, and front office and reception area maintenance. Receptionists will assume the responsibility for acquiring the medical and legal information necessary for the performance of their duties.
- Make a good first impression on clients, smile, be professional.
- Maintain a professional appearance (clothes and attitude)
- Greet clients and pets warmly
- Be professional, ethical, and friendly at all times, even and especially if clients are being difficult
- Answer phones, send faxes, get/sort/deliver mail to addressee
- Make all appointments and then confirm them the day prior
- Contact No-Show appointments to reschedule
- Make callbacks in a timely fashion to verify response of patients to treatment
- If clients are waiting for an extended period of time, offer refreshments, magazines, or other things to make client more comfortable
- Enter all data into computer for clients as we are a paperless office; scan faxes, paper forms, etc. into computer
- Serve as initial source of information to clients
- Mail or e-mail, brochures and other information to prospective clients
- Understand vaccinations, basic lab tests, common diseases, and pet behavior
- Know how to use computer software
- Take payment for services and enter into record
- Perform day end closeout
- Assist clients as necessary to make their visits easier
- Setup/verify accuracy of invoices
- Maintain cleanliness of the front of the hospital
- Assist in maintenance of outside of hospital
The veterinary technician is the veterinarian’s primary medical support and plays a vital role within the Hospital. Technicians must value the quality of care we provide at Guardian Veterinary Medical Center and comfortably deliver care to patients and communicate well with clients. The technician aids the veterinarian in achieving greater efficiency in overall patient care.
- Certified or experienced (three + years in field)
- Must effectively be able to read, speak, and write in English.
- Must have basic computer literacy skills and typing skills due to us being a paperless practice.
- Must be able to administer injections, perform venipuncture, take vital signs of a patient and properly restrain dogs and cat, including fractious pets, for examination and treatments.
- Must be able to give treatments/medications intravenously, orally, and subcutaneously.
- Familiar with anesthesia monitoring & IV catheter placement.
- Able to perform complete dental prophylactic procedures.
- Run diagnostic tests including lab work, skin scrapes, ear/skin cytology, fecal exams, heartworm tests and urinalysis.
- Comfortable taking Radiographs and using proper Radiology safety equipment and procedure protocols.
- Basic working knowledge of preventive care medicine including but not limited to diseases commonly vaccinated for (Canine Distemper, Parvo, Leptospirosis, Rabies, Bordetella, Feline distemper, Leukemia, FIV), Heartworm disease and prevention and Intestinal parasite prevention.
- Comfortable creating and maintaining accurate medical records.
- Working knowledge of dosage calculations and medical conversions.
How to Apply
Please read instructions carefully prior to submission.
If you are interested in applying, please download the application below. Once you have saved the application to your computer, open the application in Adobe Reader. You can then complete the fields of the fill-able PDF and save the document. Then submit the document to us, along with your resume, using the Online Form Submission on this page.
If you would like to download the PDF, and do not already have AdobeReader® installed on your computer, click HERE to download.Download Application